With Winter fast approaching, it is crucial for yourself and your automobile to be ready for icy roads and hazardous weather conditions while commuting.
An improperly maintained automobile is one of the main causes of accidents and malfunctions during the harsh winter weather. We suggest taking these simple precautions to ensure the safety of yourself and your vehicle this winter season:
- Stop putting off that oil change. Getting your oil changed is the perfect time to also make sure all fluids and hoses are functioning properly for the season ahead.
- Be sure your tires have sufficient tread depth. This is especially important when breaking and stopping on slippery roads.
- Check your heater and defrosters for malfunctions.
- Ensure your battery will last through the freezing temperatures. Having a poor battery charge can also affect the operation of your lights and windshield wipers. A local autoshop or mechanic should be able to test your battery for you.
- Always try to maintain a full take of gas and a fully charged cell phone. During unexpected winter storms, travel could be at a standstill.
Winter weather can be unpredictable and sometimes a storm hits when we least expect it. That is why we strongly encourage keeping a survival kit in your car at all times, but especially during the Winter months. A few simple items that can make a big difference if stranded are:
- A heavy blanket
- Spare clothes such as a coats and gloves
- Flashlight and matches/ candles
- Utility knife
- Non Perishable food items. Energy bars are an example.
- First Aid kit
- Ice scraper
- Salt to melt ice
- Snow Shovel
- Jumping Cables
As always, try avoid driving during a blizzard or other harsh winter weather unless absolutely necessary. This ensures your safety and also enables workers to salt and sand roads properly. Stay protected with Cordeiro Insurance Agency.